Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Funny Christmas Story

Growing up my family always opened our gifts on Christmas Eve, and I always, always looked forward to it! I remember one Christmas Eve that found me confused and shocked.

I had got my mom a pair of shoes and was very excited to give them to her for Christmas. I wrapped them all by myself and placed them under the tree. One night after my mom and I got home from church, I noticed a new gift under the tree without a name tag. I asked my dad who the gift was for and he said he didn't know who it was for, just knew that it was from me...this went on for a week or so leading up to Christmas Eve.

Finally, Christmas Eve arrived and I excitedly opened my gifts, but I was equally excited to see my mother open the gift I had purchased for her. I handed her the box and she began to open it, when she opened the shoebox and saw that nothing was in there, I was totally confused and shocked - all I could think of was, "did I really forget to put the shoes in the box...and if so, where did I put them?"

Later in the evening there was one box left, it was the one my dad had been saying was from me...my mom opened the box and found the shoes I had purchased for her inside. Again I was confused and shocked, how did this happen, was I losing my mind at such a young age? My father could no longer hold it inside and began to laugh hysterically. The night I had noticed the mysterious box appear under the tree after church, well that night he had carefully unwrapped my gift, took the shoes out and re-wrapped my gift—placing the shoes in the new box. Very, very funny memory of Christmas.

What's a funny Christmas memory of yours?

PS - my mom did indeed like the shoes by the way!

Have a very, Merry Christmas!


1 comment:

Malachi and Melissa said...

About 10 years ago my parents did a scavenger hunt for our "big gift". I followed the notes all around the house and my last note said "Look in front of the van." I went into the garage looking for my last note. I looked all over the front of the van, the windshield, hood, bumper and couldn't find anything. No note, no present. I ran inside and told my parents I didn't see anything. They sent me out to look again. Nothing. They started getting concerned because they KNEW they put something out there. Finally they walked me out to the garage to watch me look. They finally said, "Malachi, look IN FRONT of the van!" I eventually looked IN FRONT of the van. Much to my surprise, sitting in front of the van was a brand new bike. I was ECSTATIC but was definitely embarrassed. That is probably my funniest Christmas story.